As a free tool within OS X, Preview always be used as a PDF/image viewer. Yep, you may consider it as a mere viewer at the first glance, but actually, it is not only a viewer, it has the ability to manipulate PDF pages. You can use Preview to merge, crop, annotate PDFs and more. And the new Preview in Leopard even has some little jewel of features.
Combine PDFs into One File with Preview
- You can assemble several different PDF documents into one PDF with Preview. It can't be easier;
- Open Preview and drag the PDF files you want to combine in Preview;
- Click the "Sidebar" button or go to "View -> Sidebar -> Show Sidebar" to show the sidebar;
- Drag the thumbnail of a PDF into the sidebar, below the last page of the thumbnail of the other PDF document. Now you have merged two PDFs into one. With the same steps, you can combine several PDF files into one;
- Click "File" and select "Save As" to save the new PDF. Done! You've assemble multiple PDFs into one.
Crop a multi-page PDF with Preview
- Fire up Preview and open up whatever PDF you want to crop;
- Go to toolbar and click "Tools" and choose "Select Tool";
- Select the portion of the page you want to keep and click "Tools -> Inspector -> Crop and Rotate";
- If you want to crop only the current page to the selection, just click "Crop Page". If you want to crop all of the page of the PDF document, choose the second option - "Crop All Pages".
As you can see, it's easy. The cropping tool works just like other crop tool in average photo editing software.
Annotate Your PDF with Preview
- Start Preview;
- Drag a PDF file to the program or hit the "File" option and select "Open..." to open a PDF;
- Click "Tools", scroll down and choose the option labeled "Annotate";
- Now you can choose the option which you would like to annotate your PDF document. You can add line, add arrow, add note, add link to your PDF, you can also underline, strike through the text;
- Add annotations anywhere you want on the PDF document.
See that? You can edit PDF with Preview in Mac OS X Leopard simply. In addition to these functions, Preview has other functions like highlight text, create PDF, add, rearrange, and delete pages in a PDF document, etc.
However, you can also edit PDFs with other programs besides Mac OS X Preview. You can choose online PDF editor you can also use free PDF editor like PDFEdit, Skim to edit PDF files on Mac. You can click best Mac PDF editor Free to learn more information. These PDF editors many only have some basic and limited editing capabilities, so if you need to actually edit a pdf, you need a good PDF editor like PDF Editor for Mac, and it has a pro version which supports OCR PDF.
Related Products: iStonsoft Mac PDF Creator